[PlanetCCRMA] Audiuphile 192 and others

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:09:01 2005

On 11/15/05, Frode Petersen <fropeter@online.no> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I have a recollection that Jack does not yet handle 192KHz. Possibly
> > that's been addressed by now but I'm sure it was true for a while.
> >
> > Check it out before you buy if that's important to you.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Mark

> Thanks for the warning! I'll check that out.
>
> Do you have an idea of how big an impact on sound quality the difference
> in rate has? (Supposing I listen to the music on a high-end hifi system)
>
> Frode

Well, the audio will probably have less of a positive impact on sound
quality than the negative monetay impact your pocketbook would feel
buying real 192KHz converters. (I.e. - with the M-Audio converters I
wouldn't think it would be all that noticible, but I don't know...).
Add to it that you'll be using 2x more disk space, and creating 2x
more bandwidth issues in your machine, and you're getting a bit
painful.

One other thought comes to mind. I'll bet you a beer the next time we
meet in Saigon that almost none fo the LADSPA plugins really work at
192KHz either.

Good luck,
Mark