[PlanetCCRMA] new apt-get update causes system freezes.

Kevin Street street@rogers.com
Sun Nov 27 21:19:01 2005

Matt Marian wrote:
> Ok I have had a very stable install of FC4 ( had been using kernel-smp2.16.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma-smp excuse me if I correctly named the kernel package , but that is the kernel version anyway)
> all had been fine - jack runing beautifully  - up to four hours recording solidly - in ardour - no xruns - no instability at all. - good for several months - that is up untill about a week ago.
> After a recent update using apt-get , the system boots no problem, gnome starts fanstastically, then when I use any application ( ANY) after about 5 minutes the system locks completely, no alt login using ctrl+altf2(etc)
> it is a complete system freeze.  I can't even ssh into it . nothing works at all

It would be good to know what did change in that last apt-get.  If
you're not sure, you could do:

rpm -qa --last | more

to get a list of the most recent changes.  That would be a good place to
start looking for problems.  I'm on the same kernel with no problems.
I'm up to date as far as FC4 and extras are concerned but the last ccrma
  update on my system appears to be from Oct 31.

The ccrma repo does appear to be down at the moment.