[PlanetCCRMA] new apt-get update causes system freezes.

Matt Marian matt1@mattmarian.homelinux.com
Sun Nov 27 11:15:02 2005

--------------070802010100080607010907

Hi all,

First let me thank each and everyone of you for your posts, I have been
using the ccrma builds for about a year and a half , and all of your
posts have been a fountain of knowledge. (mightily tipping my hat to
Fernando , of course.)

Ok I have _*had*_ a very stable install of FC4 ( had been using
kernel-smp2.16.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma-smp excuse me if I correctly
named the kernel package , but that is the kernel version anyway)
all had been fine - jack runing beautifully  - up to four hours
recording solidly - in ardour - no xruns - no instability at all. - good
for several months - that is up untill about a week ago.
After a recent update using apt-get , the system boots no problem, gnome
starts fanstastically, then when I use any application ( ANY) after
about 5 minutes the system locks completely, no alt login using
ctrl+altf2(etc)
it is a complete system freeze.  I can't even ssh into it . nothing
works at all
Let me reiterate - it worked flawlessley on that kernel for about 2
months - maybe 3 . never had an issue at all.
I can boot and stay stable using original RHFC4 kernel - ( but no real
time, no user run jack etc. so useless to me now.)

Any tips to point me in the right direction - shy of a complete rebuild
and limited update- to maintain stable state.
(using linux since around 1997 - so adept,but no wiz or guru, definately
not a programmer)

The more I work on it , the more I feel I will have to do a system
re-install.  -
I don't want to do that again if I really don't have to.
system as follows  - it is a dedicated linux only DAW.
motherboard  abit vt7 (via pt880 chipset)
intel P4 3.0 ghz -
2 gig ram ( hyperthreaded enabled on bios) - has always been
2x250gig HDDs ata133 + 1x150 gig hdd sata150
Maudio 1010LT  - (fantastic)
ati  (radeon 7000 - AGP) been very stable - I don't want/need 3d anything
FC4 - install always defaulted to smp kernel install - so I assumed the
SMPccrma was the right way to go (???)

Thanks very much for any assitance at all.
ps, was unsure of what got updated since there we so many packages (
great help eh?sorry)

Also - are the CCRMA repositories down today - I am not able to reach
any to install test kernels. ??
Thanks again - I hope I have provided sufficient info.
Matt

--------------070802010100080607010907

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi all, <br>
First let me thank each and everyone of you for your posts, I have been
using the ccrma builds for about a year and a half , and all of your
posts have been a fountain of knowledge. (mightily tipping my hat to
Fernando , of course.)<br>
using kernel-smp2.16.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma-smp excuse me if I
correctly named the kernel package , but that is the kernel version
anyway) <br>
all had been fine - jack runing beautifully&nbsp; - up to four hours
recording solidly - in ardour - no xruns - no instability at all. -
good for several months - that is up untill about a week ago. <br>
After a recent update using apt-get , the system boots no problem,
gnome starts fanstastically, then when I use any application ( ANY)
after about 5 minutes the system locks completely, no alt login using
ctrl+altf2(etc)<br>
it is a complete system freeze.&nbsp; I can't even ssh into it . nothing
works at all <br>
Let me reiterate - it worked flawlessley on that kernel for about 2
months - maybe 3 . never had an issue at all. <br>
I can boot and stay stable using original RHFC4 kernel - ( but no real
time, no user run jack etc. so useless to me now.)<br>
Any tips to point me in the right direction - shy of a complete rebuild
and limited update- to maintain stable state. <br>
(using linux since around 1997 - so adept,but no wiz or guru,
definately not a programmer)<br>
The more I work on it , the more I feel I will have to do a system
re-install.&nbsp; - <br>
I don't want to do that again if I really don't have to. <br>
system as follows&nbsp; - it is a dedicated linux only DAW.<br>
motherboard&nbsp; abit vt7 (via pt880 chipset)<br>
intel P4 3.0 ghz - <br>
2 gig ram ( hyperthreaded enabled on bios) - has always been<br>
2x250gig HDDs ata133 + 1x150 gig hdd sata150<br>
Maudio 1010LT&nbsp; - (fantastic)<br>
ati&nbsp; (radeon 7000 - AGP) been very stable - I don't want/need 3d
anything<br>
FC4 - install always defaulted to smp kernel install - so I assumed the
SMPccrma was the right way to go (???)<br>
Thanks very much for any assitance at all. <br>
ps, was unsure of what got updated since there we so many packages (
great help eh?sorry)<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Also - are the CCRMA repositories down today - I am not able to reach
any to install test kernels. ??<br>
Thanks again - I hope I have provided sufficient info.<br>
Matt <br>

--------------070802010100080607010907--