[PlanetCCRMA] Ardour changing pitch

Wed Nov 30 11:37:02 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 11:14 -0800, Stephen Crane wrote:
> I've been having trouble with Ardour changing the pitch of my tracks after I
> save, shut down the computer and come back to it a week or so later.
>
> First I recorded about a dozen tracks. When I came back to this project a week
> or so later, all the tracks had gone a little over a half step flat, but they
> were all in tune with each other. So I re-recorded my tracks, leaving the
> old, out-of-tune ones alone. When I came back a couple of weeks later, the
> newer tracks were out of tune (flat), again all by the same amount, but the
> old tracks that were out of tune before, were now perfectly in tune.
>
> Here's my specs:
> Fedora Core 2 - CCRMA Edge kernel
> Latest updates from CCRMA (a couple of days ago)
> M-Audio Delta 410 (PCI card)
> Sample Rate - 44100
>
> Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've searched all over, but the only
> thing I found even close to this problem was this post:
> http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2005-July/009835.html
> but it doesn't appear to be the same problem to me.

This sounds to me like a mismatch at some point in sampling rates (44100
vs. 48000). Hard to say _how_ exactly it happens - but at the core of
the problem you will probably find something like that happening.

48000/44100=1.0884353...
1/2 step in a 12 tone equal tempered scale = 1.059463...
-- Fernando