FC4 troubles (was [PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4?)

Matt Marian matt1@mattmarian.homelinux.com
Wed Nov 30 20:44:01 2005

Michael Gurevich wrote:

>I don't usually weigh in on these things, but for what its worth, I'm
>still having problems with FC4 and planetCCRMA.
>
>The planetCCRMA smp kernels still don't boot for me, and unfortunately
>I don't have time/patience/expertise to start recompiling the kernel.
>The uni-processor ones boot, but crash after awhile. I'm back to using
>RedHat's latest smp kernel.
>
>Not totally sure how to investigate the crashes with the CCRMA kernel. I
>don't use the machine all the time, but if I leave it running for more
>than an hour or so, its normally frozen with a blank screen when I come
>back to it. I looked in /var/log/messages, and the only notable difference
>between the RH and CCRMA kernels is that with the CCRMA kernel I get the
>messages copied below periodically. When the machine freezes, there is
>one crond job after these messages, and then nothing. But it doesn't
>freeze everytime these messages appear.
>
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel: irq 21: nobody cared (try booting with
>the "irqpoll" option)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c01471b4>] __report_bad_irq+0x24/0x90
>(8)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c01472c2>] note_interrupt+0x72/0xd0
>(20)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0146ec4>] do_hardirq+0xe4/0x110 (20)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0146ef0>] do_irqd+0x0/0x90 (20)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0146f52>] do_irqd+0x62/0x90 (8)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0137078>] kthread+0x98/0xa0 (24)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0136fe0>] kthread+0x0/0xa0 (12)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c01013b1>]
>kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x14 (12)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel: handlers:
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel: [<c02b08d0>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x80)
>Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel: turning off IO-APIC fast mode.
>

>On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 23:18 +0100, Paquita wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm new to audio under linux, and about to try Planet CCRMA. I read a bit,
>>>but currently it's not clear to me which Fedora Core version I should
>>>install : is Planet CCRMA already ready for FC4? Or am I better off
>>>staying with FC3 right now?
>>>

>>This is getting harder and harder to answer :-) FC3 is still the most
>>complete system in terms of software available, there are a few
>>ommissions still in FC4 - after the initial flurry of help I got to get
>>things compiled on gcc4 the enthusiasm died down and I have been too
>>busy to try again. Most probably by now those problems already have
>>solutions.
>>
>>The only major advantage I see in FC3 is the availability of cdrom
>>images which I have not recreated yet for FC4 (but FC4 has a full blown
>>"all included" install dvd - experimental, of course). If you don't need
>>them you could go with FC4. For the current status of the FC4 packages
> [...]
I got the same - Nobody cared error
check your Ide/raid controller setups in the bios.
If you don't have it in compatible mode and the hardrives and CDROM/DVD
use the same interupt then you will have problems
for example - - set in enhanced mode if you are using sata controllers
in conjunction with an IDE controller they might not be able to both use
the primary .
Some boards allow  dual use and all  to be used  and some are set as
EITHER /OR.
slow down and think carefully how you have all of your drives connected.
some boards have an individual IDE controller (main- Primary) that is
also linked to an SATA Primary - or infact another IDE set as RAID/IDE
and it is also a Primary and you are putting devices on a channel that
causes a conflict- thus the " nobody cared" scenario in your errors.
I bet this is the problem
1st - change the IDE/SATA settings to compatible
Choose either P/ata only ( S/ata only ) or Both P/ata +S/ata
-REBOOT -go back into the bios.
then look at your available IDE/SATA devices.
make sure if you are using P/ata you are setting Primary devices on the
correct controller and use only Primary  ones,   watch your master/slave
positions  . .
- go re-read that, it looks convoluted but trust me, this is what is
happening.   you WILL get it to work if you map out what is a Primary
Parallel IDE controller and and which is a  Primary Sata controller
and  use the master on one and the secondary on the other.
umm I might not have said that exactly correct , but check the bios
setting for your IDE controller and think carefully about what Drive ,
what controller, and what position.