FC4 troubles (was [PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4?)

Michael Gurevich gurevich@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Nov 30 23:52:02 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Matt Marian wrote:

> Michael Gurevich wrote:
>
> >I don't usually weigh in on these things, but for what its worth, I'm
> >still having problems with FC4 and planetCCRMA.
> >
> >The planetCCRMA smp kernels still don't boot for me, and unfortunately
> >I don't have time/patience/expertise to start recompiling the kernel.
> >The uni-processor ones boot, but crash after awhile. I'm back to using
> >RedHat's latest smp kernel.
> >
> >Not totally sure how to investigate the crashes with the CCRMA kernel. I
> >don't use the machine all the time, but if I leave it running for more
> >than an hour or so, its normally frozen with a blank screen when I come
> >back to it. I looked in /var/log/messages, and the only notable difference
> >between the RH and CCRMA kernels is that with the CCRMA kernel I get the
> >messages copied below periodically. When the machine freezes, there is
> >one crond job after these messages, and then nothing. But it doesn't
> >freeze everytime these messages appear.
> >
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel: irq 21: nobody cared (try booting with
> >the "irqpoll" option)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c01471b4>] __report_bad_irq+0x24/0x90
> >(8)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c01472c2>] note_interrupt+0x72/0xd0
> >(20)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0146ec4>] do_hardirq+0xe4/0x110 (20)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0146ef0>] do_irqd+0x0/0x90 (20)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0146f52>] do_irqd+0x62/0x90 (8)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0137078>] kthread+0x98/0xa0 (24)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c0136fe0>] kthread+0x0/0xa0 (12)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel:  [<c01013b1>]
> >kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x14 (12)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel: handlers:
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel: [<c02b08d0>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x80)
> >Nov 28 15:18:23 localhost kernel: turning off IO-APIC fast mode.

> >>This is getting harder and harder to answer :-) FC3 is still the most
> >>complete system in terms of software available, there are a few
> >>ommissions still in FC4 - after the initial flurry of help I got to get
> >>things compiled on gcc4 the enthusiasm died down and I have been too
> >>busy to try again. Most probably by now those problems already have
> >>solutions.
> >>
> >>The only major advantage I see in FC3 is the availability of cdrom
> >>images which I have not recreated yet for FC4 (but FC4 has a full blown
> >>"all included" install dvd - experimental, of course). If you don't need
> >>them you could go with FC4. For the current status of the FC4 packages
> >>as compared to FC3 see:
> >>  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/fc4buildstatus.html
> >>
> >>-- Fernando

> I got the same - Nobody cared error
> check your Ide/raid controller setups in the bios.
> If you don't have it in compatible mode and the hardrives and CDROM/DVD
> use the same interupt then you will have problems
> [...]

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately it doesn't help much. As I said
in an earlier post, this system has a slightly problematic HD
configuration. It was designed to be a lightweight server - it has a SCSI
Raid controller, but just 1 SCSI HD, which has the original WinXP
install. I added a (P)ATA drive for Linux. There is no SATA controller.
When the system boots there is a SCSI boot-ROM thing that runs before the
system BIOS, which I guess initializes the RAID controller.

The system BIOS doesn't really have much to configure. For the IDE
devices, it just shows Primary 0 = Hard Drive; Primary 1 = Off; Secondary
0 = CD-ROM; Secondary 1 = Off. For the HD and CD-ROM, I can view
details and it shows me the model number and capacity, and lets me choose
the "DRIVE TYPE", either AUTO or OFF. Assuming that Primary and Secondary
refer to the first and second IDE channels, then the BIOS settings match
the physical setup.

The only other relevant setting is "Hard-Disk Drive Sequence", where are
ordered
1. System BIOS boot Devices
2. <model and some reference code to the SCSI HD>.

This order needs to stay as it is, as GRUB is installed on the IDE drive.
If it were a BIOS config problem, then why would I be getting the errors
with one kernel and not the other?  different level of error reporting?
In case I was unclear before - the stock Redhat SMP kernel works
perfectly, its only with the CCRMA kernels that I have problems.