[PlanetCCRMA] 'default' sound card?

nigel henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Fri Sep 2 01:54:01 2005

On Thursday 01 Sep 2005 11:19 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    Does anyone happen to know the rule for how, in a 2 card system,
> the 'default' sound card is chosen?
>
>    In the past it has, on my previous systems, always been card 0. On
> my new AMD64 system it's turning out to be card 1, the HDSP 9652,
> which is not what I want:
>
> lightning ~ # cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
>                      NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xda103000, irq 185
> 1 [default        ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
>                      RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 at 0xda000000, irq 209
> lightning ~ #
>
> This makes Gnome unhappy as I do not set up OSS on the HDSP9652
> because of long existing problems and, as I say, on my other machines
> card 0 has always been default which made Gnome happy.
>
> thanks in advance,
> Mark

Hi Mark. Wouldn't settings the options in /etc/modprob.conf sort the order in
which the cards were loaded, as below.
options snd_cardID index=0
options snd_cardID index=1
and set whichever card you want to load first as the index=0
This worked when I had problems with my usb midi keyboard loading first. All
the best. Nigel.