[PlanetCCRMA] quiet pc hardware - via epia m10000?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 19 00:56:00 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 11:32:49 -0700, ilikebeans wrote:
>    Hello all,
>
>    I currently have an Athlon 650 that is just too loud, so I'm looking to
>    replace it.  I've mostly been looking at the Via Epia M10000 to combine
>    with my audiophile 2496, 7200 rpm hard drive, and some RAM.  I've found
>    numerous reviews for using it as a "media" computer, but I'm still a
>    little bit unsure about using it as a simple home studio daw.  Has anyone
>    had any experience using the PlanetCCRMA aps with this cpu/mb?  Are there
>    any caveats to using one?  Can I expect decent performance, or should I
>    look for another quiet pc solution?

I have some older EPIA machines at work (M1000s I think), and I tried some
audio software, just to see what thier like. There not very fast, I think
the 1k struglled to run jamin, but for ardour use without too many plugins
for eg. it should be OK. I dont know how much faster the 10k is.

OTOH there very small, and though ours had CPU fans, they were very quiet,
and dont need a wacking great powersupply.

- Steve