[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel compilation

Sat Sep 24 18:32:01 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 20:29 +0200, Henk Jansen wrote:
> I have installed the planetccrma kernel 2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma on
> my Thinkpad R52 which works great except for the familiar problem that
> there is a name mismatch between the ipw2200 module and the firmware
> (ipw-2.{2,3}_xxx.fw) for the wireless card (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
> Network Connection) on this machine. Since I've heard reports that the
> problem is solved in the newer kernels I venture to compile and install
> the newest kernel from ccrma (kernel-2.6.13-0.3.rdt.src.rpm). After
> unpacking (rpm -i) I'm confronted with a bunch of patches that apply to
> different kernel versions. Therefore, I'm eager to learn about the right
> procedure in order to patch and compile this kernel successfully.

Hmmm, why do you want to rebuild from source?
You have to "cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS" and rebuild from the spec file,
for example:
  rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 kernel.spec

0.3.rdt packages are available from the planetcore repository in fc4. If
you have apt properly configured:
  apt-get update
  apt-get install kernel
should give you the list of kernels currently available.
-- Fernando