[PlanetCCRMA] Apt-get dist-upgrade errors

nigel henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Sun Sep 25 12:03:58 2005

On Sunday 25 Sep 2005 3:02 pm, Michael T D Nelson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having difficulties with apt at the moment.
>
> I switch to root. Then, I run 'apt-get update'. All good so far.
>
> Now, I run 'apt-get dist-upgrade', which has worked well for me until
> the last week or two.
>
> Now, after downloading all of the updates (quite a lot this time round -
> about 75Mb), I get the following messages:
>
> "file /usr/bin/sweep from install of lam-7.1.1-7.FC3 conflicts with file
> from package sweep-0.8.3-2.rhfc3.ccrma
>
> file /usr/share/man/man1/sweep.1.gz from install of lam-7.1.1-7.FC3
> conflicts with file from package sweep-0.8.3-2.rhfc3.ccrma
>
> E: Error whilst running transaction"
>
> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or what has gone wrong?
>
> Thanks
> Michael Nelson

Hi Michael. The only thing I can suggest is doing the upgrade in stages. I've
just installed FC3 and had problems when doing an apt-get dist-upgrade. this
throws back the same "Error whilst running transaction". I tried running
apt-get upgrade, which went well. then ran apt-get dist-upgrade which also
completed with no p[roblems. In my case I don't know what caused the
problems, but when trying to do an apt-get dist-upgrade, kdevelop was held
back, and libtool was set to be removed. I ran apt-get upgrade which
installed kdevelop and the other updates. I then ran apt-get dist-upgrade
which then removed kdevelop and libtool and completed the upgrade. It's worth
a try. It would seem like sometimes something needs to be upgraded (kdevelop
for instance) to allow an apt-get upgrade to complete, then to allow an
apt-get dist-upgrade to complete, kdevelop then needs to be removed. I know
this all sounds a bit weird, but thats the way it worked on a new install of
FC3, and this was 800MB of updates. Not much fun on dialup. Nigel.