[PlanetCCRMA] Apt-get dist-upgrade errors

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Sun Sep 25 15:56:01 2005

I brought this problem up a while back because I thought it would cause problems for folks.  Fernando suggested back then that we should just erase one of the two conflicting programs, then the upgrade will work without the whole "apt-get dist-upgrade" sequence falling apart.

I managed to get 5 of the 6 linux boxes here running on the same distro(FC3), with four of them having the planet's setup on them.  Nigel's idea of doing the upgrades from a new FC3 install in stages seemed to work best for me on the first machine that I installed FC3 on.

Sometimes it helps to do "apt-get update" then "apt-get dist-upgrade" and hit the "n" key before it starts just to see if everything is going to fall in place.  There have been a lot of FC3 updates from fedora(which I'm really happy that they're doing, btw) which sometimes clash.  Using "synaptic" to do upgrades after seeing any conflicts doing the apt-get thing above helps a lot.  Synaptic is a nice graphical way to install/upgrade from apt repositories.  It will let you decide which files to do, and you can do them in groups or stages as Nigel suggests.

Because we don't want to do repeated long downloads for all of the machines(some are firewalled off of the net) I now try to do the upgrades on one machine and move the new files to server space.  I then build my own repos of the updates on the server and put pointers to the repo in "/etc/apt/..." on all of the machines.  But that's another story.

Tracey