[PlanetCCRMA] Alsa-Jack config on Fedora 4

Bob Bailey bob@digisonus.com
Fri Sep 30 10:28:01 2005

I may have over estimated my abilities in venturing to Fedora4 without
more documentation available.  I have had success with Fedora2, but it
seems that there may have been some changes in the version 4 that are
keeping me from a successful install.  I've not installed ardour or any
of the other apps I will use, but am just trying to get the audio
working well with xmms and perhaps realaudio streams.

when I try to open an ogg/mp3/wav file, I get an xmms error:
Couldn't open audio.  Please check that your soundcard is configured
properly, you have the correct output plugin selected, and that no other
program is blocking the soundcard.

I have the alsa 1.2.10  output plugin selected (libALSA.so) and
modprobe.conf:

alias eth0 e100
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.9 ---
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

# -- Keep modules from being autocleaned
#add options -k snd-card-0
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

by the way, I get errors when I uncomment these 'autoclean' options

In previous installs, I had to start up jack first.  When I attemt to do
this now, I get this error from qjackctl:

creating alsa driver ... /dev/dsp|-|1024|2|44100|0|2|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA lib control.c:817:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/dsp
control open "/dev/dsp" (No such file or directory)
cannot load driver module alsa
09:27:01.025 JACK was stopped successfully.
09:27:02.818 Could not connect to JACK server as client.

I am using 'jackd', have 'realtime' perameter ticked on, and have the
'artsshell' to terminate when jack is started.

Can someone direct me to some helpful documentation or list... or
perhaps a few helpful hints?

cheers

bob