[PlanetCCRMA] Alsa-Jack config on Fedora 4

Fri Sep 30 18:55:02 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 10:32 -0700, Bob Bailey wrote:
> I may have over estimated my abilities in venturing to Fedora4 without
> more documentation available.  I have had success with Fedora2, but it
> seems that there may have been some changes in the version 4 that are
> keeping me from a successful install.  I've not installed ardour or any
> of the other apps I will use, but am just trying to get the audio
> working well with xmms and perhaps realaudio streams.
>
> when I try to open an ogg/mp3/wav file, I get an xmms error:
> Couldn't open audio.  Please check that your soundcard is configured
> properly, you have the correct output plugin selected, and that no other
> program is blocking the soundcard.
>
> I have the alsa 1.2.10  output plugin selected (libALSA.so) and
> modprobe.conf:
>
> alias eth0 e100
> alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
> alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
> # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.9 ---
> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

You should not have neede to run alsaconf on fc4, it should have found
your card automatically...

> # -- Keep modules from being autocleaned
> #add options -k snd-card-0
> alias net-pf-10 off
> alias ipv6 off
>
> by the way, I get errors when I uncomment these 'autoclean' options

Try with this for the soundcard options:

alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-ice1712 index=0

That should be all you need.

> In previous installs, I had to start up jack first.  When I attemt to do
> this now, I get this error from qjackctl:
>
> creating alsa driver ... /dev/dsp|-|1024|2|44100|0|2|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> ALSA lib control.c:817:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/dsp
> control open "/dev/dsp" (No such file or directory)
> cannot load driver module alsa
> 09:27:01.025 JACK was stopped successfully.
> 09:27:02.818 Could not connect to JACK server as client.

This is all very strange.
What do you have in:
  cat /proc/asound/cards
  cat /proc/asound/devices
If you don't have anything there then alsa is not started.

If you appear to have things there try starting "envy24control" to make
sure it can see your card.

Then start (from the command line first) jack:

  jackd -R -d alsa -d hw

-- Fernando