[PlanetCCRMA] kernel source access

blindman jones erleichda@gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:24:02 2006

On 12/7/06, Rob Jackson <robert.jackson@student.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> blindman jones wrote:
> [snip]
> >> I need the kernel source for 2.6.16-1.2080.16.rdt.rhfc5.ccrma in order
> >> to get a wireless network card working but am unable to find it
>
> > The src rpms are here...
> >
> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/all/linux/SRPMS/
> >
> > You might not need to rebuild the whole kernel though, read this first
> > to be sure...
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#id2983562
> > "Fedora Core does not include the kernel-source package provided by
> > older versions since only the kernel-devel package is required now to
> > build external modules."
> >

> OK, I've tried the kernel-devel package, and it seems that it probably
> has the correct files; however,
> # yum install kernel-devel
> only installs the source for the 2.6.18-1 FC kernel, as supposed to the
> 2.6.16-1 planetCCRMA kernel. As a result, I am unable to build with the
> CCRMA kernel. How can I get the kernel-devel package for the CCRMA
> 2.6.16-1.2080.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma kernel?

you need to make sure the devel repository is enabled. If you
installed the planetccrma-repo then the files will be there in
/etc/yum.conf.d open the planetccrma-devel.repo and change the
enabled=0 to enabled=1

there may be just one planetccrma.repo, but it will have a
planetccrma-devel section that you need to enable.

> I've now switched to the rrt kernel, which appears to work fine in the

that is cool it works... should see a performance increase too!

> hope that installing the source rpm's would solve the problem, however,
> # rpm -i kernel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.src.rpm
> gives error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

read through that link I sent before... as we say RTFM :)

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#id2983562

it should guide you step by step on how to build packages, including
the kernel stuff.

keep asking questions though, you will get through it!

good luck.