[PlanetCCRMA] FC4 on an older machine?

bernie arai bernie.arai@gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 00:29:05 2006

On 2/22/06, Len <lenb_99@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been running FC1 (2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma) on an older machine:
> P3 800MHz processor
> 512MB RAM
> 19GB primary HD
> 40GB secondary (audio)
> Echo Layla 24/96 audio interface (PCI slot 2, not shared - IRQ 10)
> Graphics integrated in MOBO (64MB)
>
> I dual-boot Windows and Linux, and the audio drive is formatted as FAT32 so it can be accessed
> from either OS.

> [snip]

> I am considering the move up to FC4.  Is my system up to it?  Anyone running FC4 successfully on
> an older machine with good results?

i am also very curious to know if that would be a feasible move.  i
have a system very similar to yours (P3 733) and have been running FC1
CCRMA very successfully for a while now (a year? two? i forget), but
i'd like to move to a 2.6 kernel and get some newer versions of
software easily.  does anyone have advice for us on moving to FC4 on
machines this old?

bernie