[PlanetCCRMA] FC4 on an older machine?

Joe Hartley jh@brainiac.com
Thu Mar 2 04:32:02 2006

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 00:28:33 -0800
"bernie arai" <bernie.arai@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I am considering the move up to FC4.  Is my system up to it?  Anyone running FC4 successfully on
> > an older machine with good results?
> >

> i am also very curious to know if that would be a feasible move.  i
> have a system very similar to yours (P3 733) and have been running FC1
> CCRMA very successfully for a while now (a year? two? i forget), but
> i'd like to move to a 2.6 kernel and get some newer versions of
> software easily.  does anyone have advice for us on moving to FC4 on
> machines this old?

I'm running FC4 on a 500MHz P3 Thinkpad.  I'm not doing any audio processing
on it, but it runs pretty well.  My only issue, and this holds true on all
systems I run FC4 on, is that Firefox swaps like a mofo at times and the
system becomes unusable until I kill it.  That happens even on a 3GHz P4
with 512MB.

I've not been too happy with FC4/CCRMA on my studio machine - I often
end up with some sort of issue with Jack and ardour where even during
mixing/exporting I can end up with hundreds of xruns.  Restarting ardour and
jack doesn't really help.  A reboot does, but at that point I'm rebooting
into my rock-steady RH9/CCRMA partition.  More tweaking seems necessary,
but finding the time for that is hard!