[PlanetCCRMA] kernel source confusion

Frode Petersen fropeter@online.no
Wed Mar 15 06:30:03 2006

I'm trying to install the kernel source using the
2.6.14-0.10.rrt.src.rpm file.

I use
	rpm -Uvh 2.6.14-0.10.rrt.src.rpm

to install the source.

Then, as instructed in the FC3 release notes (pasted at the bottom), I
run (from the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS):

	rpmbuild -bp --target=i386 kernel.spec

which gave the following output:

Building target platforms: i386
Building for target i386
error: line 194: Dependency tokens must begin with alpha-numeric, '_' or
'/': Prereq: %{kernel_prereq}
[root@x SPECS]#

I don't know whether it's helpful, but here are the lines in question:

194: Prereq: %{kernel_prereq}

referring to:

177: %{?fc4:%define kernel_prereq  fileutils, module-init-tools,
initscripts >= 5.83, mkinitrd >= 4.2.15-1}

I'm no expert in this area, but my logic tells me that this should
result in the following:
194: Prereq: fileutils, module-init-tools, initscripts >= 5.83, mkinitrd
 >= 4.2.15-1
where the dependency token starts with an alpha-numeric character.

I do not know how to proceed, or whether I did something wrong. Any help
would be most appreciated!

Frode Petersen

----------------------------
Excerpt from the FC3 release notes

In order to eliminate the redundancy inherent in providing a separate
package for the kernel source code when that source code already exists
in the kernel's .src.rpm file, Fedora Core 3 no longer includes the
kernel-source package. Users that require access to the kernel sources
can find them in the kernel .src.rpm file. To create an exploded source
tree from this file, perform the following steps (note that <version>
refers to the version specification for your currently-running kernel):

    1.

       Obtain the kernel-<version>.src.rpm file from one of the
following sources:
           *

             The SRPMS directory on the appropriate "SRPMS" CD iso image
           *

             The FTP site where you got the kernel package
           *

             By running the following command:

             up2date --get-source kernel
    2.

       Install kernel-<version>.src.rpm (given the default RPM
configuration, the files this package contains will be written to
/usr/src/redhat/)
    3.

       Change directory to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/, and issue the
following command:

       rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch> kernel.spec

       (Where <arch> is the desired target architecture.)

       On a default RPM configuration, the kernel tree will be located
in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/.
    4.

       In resulting tree, the configurations for the specific kernels
shipped in Fedora Core 3 are in the /configs/ directory. For example,
the i686 SMP configuration file is named
/configs/kernel-<version>-i686-smp.config. Issue the following command
to place the desired configuration file in the proper place for building:

       cp <desired-file> ./.config
    5.

       Issue the following command:

       make oldconfig