[PlanetCCRMA] snd card now not working. apparently slipped from Card 1 to Card 0.

Wed Nov 15 11:32:01 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 18:42 -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >> Would the (behind-my-back) removal of the midisport slip the Delta 66
> >> into card 0 spot, but not tell others that the Delta 66 is now card 0
> >> and not card 1? I don't care much about the Midisport, so why doesn't my
> >> Delta66 work?
> >>

> > Try directing aplay to card 0 specifically, something like:
> >   aplay --device=plughw:0 filename.wav
> >
> Yep, that works as expected.
> > Looks like kudzu (the hardware discovery software) missed the midisport
> > and automagically rewrote the soundcard related configuration files but
> > missed something.
>
> That's strange as the Midisport 8x8 LED is flashing slowly - which
> indicates that the driver was loaded into it.

I take it you have cold booted and the same thing happens, right?

> > See if you have a /etc/asound.conf file and what it contains now...
> >
> Hmmm, what does this mean?
>
> $ cat /etc/asound.conf
> #Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
> #SWCONF
> #DEV 0
> defaults.pcm.card 1
> defaults.pcm.device 0
> defaults.ctl.card 1

It looks like the default card is now card 1 device 0. But according to
your previous post:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [M66            ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 66
>                       M Audio Delta 66 at 0xece0, irq 20

..there's only one card, so that is wrong.
Fedora is definitely confused about soundcards...

Maybe run system-config-soundcard to see if it is smart enough to fix things?

Do you remember what you did right before things started to not work?
-- Fernando