[PlanetCCRMA] snd card now not working. apparently slipped from Card 1 to Card 0.

Brad Fuller brad@sonaural.com
Wed Nov 15 14:39:02 2006

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>>> Looks like kudzu (the hardware discovery software) missed the midisport
>>> and automagically rewrote the soundcard related configuration files but
>>> missed something.
>>>
>> That's strange as the Midisport 8x8 LED is flashing slowly - which
>> indicates that the driver was loaded into it.
>>

> I take it you have cold booted and the same thing happens, right?

Yes. Another thread - [linux-audio-user] fxload and Midisport firmware -
reveals some interesting info on this.

>>> See if you have a /etc/asound.conf file and what it contains now...
>>>

>> Hmmm, what does this mean?
>>
>> $ cat /etc/asound.conf
>> #Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
>> #SWCONF
>> #DEV 0
>> defaults.pcm.card 1
>> defaults.pcm.device 0
>> defaults.ctl.card 1
>>

> It looks like the default card is now card 1 device 0. But according to
> your previous post:
>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>
>>  0 [M66            ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 66
>>                       M Audio Delta 66 at 0xece0, irq 20
>>

> ..there's only one card, so that is wrong.
> Fedora is definitely confused about soundcards...
>
> Maybe run system-config-soundcard to see if it is smart enough to fix things?

I actually did that and it came up with the same config. I assume I
can't change this file as it will be overwritten?

> Do you remember what you did right before things started to not work?

HA! I'm too old to remember. (||: note to self: take notes :||)

brad