[PlanetCCRMA] Easy Question - Keyboard / Mouse

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Sat Nov 18 08:37:02 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 12:50 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 20:30 +0000, Bob Wilkinson wrote:
> > You didn't have to say that Fernando - I really don't want to set up this
> > system twice this quickly, and until you said that you were working on
> > the 64-bit system I was quite content sticking with FC5 dual processor
> > for a while.  Now I'm itchy to see these 64 bit processors running at
> > their full capabilities.
>
> Don't wait for 64 bits, just install 32 and start/keep making noises!
>
> My personal feeling is that you won't see much of a difference in
> performance between 32 and 64 os's... others disagree of course. What
> would you measure and how to be able to say "it is faster" or "it is
> slower" with some objective numbers? Subjective comments like "I
> switched to distro xyz running 64 bit and I luvit" are not very useful
> IMHO...

    In unrelated processing at work I have seen vast improvements in
running some of my software on 64 bit systems but only in packages that
address large files (> 2GB).  I'm assuming that this is because we
handle all integer and most floating point operations in 64 bit ints or
floats.  All other applications appear to run at about the same speed
whether we run in 32 or 64 bit.

Jan

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"