[PlanetCCRMA] fc5 or fc6, i386 or x86_64

Jeff Sandys sandysj@juno.com
Wed Jan 3 16:18:00 2007

Thanks everyone for the advise, I'll start with fc6_i386 because
it has Pure Data and CMUCL.  Just a few more novice questions,

Should I disable SELinux security?  This is a single user laptop.

Low latency kernel can be installed later without wrecking everything?

Does the NVidia kmod get in the way of CCRMA or low latency?
I had to use it on the Ubuntu computer I built for the in-laws to
get S-Video and FlightGear to work.  I won't be using FG on this
music laptop, it has a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 with 128meg shared.

I hope to give a presentation of Planet-CCRMA at the NorthWest
LinuxFest, http://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/

-- Jeff

-- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 22:55 +0000, Jeff Sandys wrote:
> I got a laptop to setup as a Linux Music computer.  It has a AMD
> Turion64x2 processor.
>
> Which Fedora Core should I install, fc5 or fc6, i386 or x86_64?  I
> would like to install most of the PlanetCCRMA music applications with
> the least problems.

I'd dare say fc6 :-)

But... not all apps are there yet (rebuilt, I mean). And no low latency
kernel has been released in Planet CCRMA. The latest patches from Ingo
are looking very very good so I'm getting closer to releasing one, but
it is hard to say when.

As to i386 vs. x86_64 I'd go with i386 (BTW it is the only version
available on fc5 and earlier releases of Planet CCRMA). I started
building x86_64 packages for fc6 but not all apps work (depends on what
you need, things like pd / supercollider don't yet work on x86_64).

FREE for 30 Days! - Holiday eCards from AmericanGreetings.com
http://track.juno.com/s/lc?s=197335&u=http://www.americangreetings.com/index.pd?c=uol5637