[PlanetCCRMA] Planet CCRMA x86_64 and Adour/Ardour2 XRuns

Beepo / Vanguard beepo@vanguard.fi
Fri Mar 9 13:23:01 2007

Hi,

Forgive me writing such a long version, but it includes the whole path
of the upgrade. The actual questions can be found at the very end of
this message ;) Anyway thanks again for all that have been there for me
earlier and especially for Fernando for the hard work.

I've just installed the x86_64 version of Planet CCRMA on a fresh FC6
installation. I knew I would be taking a bit of a risk since I had
perfectly working 32bit version on FC5 but the temptation was too big.

The installation was almost a walk in the park. I did a completelly
fresh install of FC6 and updated it with yum before the Planet CCRMA
installation. Only thing that I had to do when installing the
planetccrma-core package was to force the pam to install. For that I
downloaded the CCRMA pam package and installed it manually by issuing
command: rpm -Uhv --force pam-0.99.6.2-3.16.1.fc6.ccrma.x86_64.rpm

After that the installation process continued smoothly. The real
problems started however this morning. I had left the computer on over
the night. At the morning the autofs service was taking up to the 50% of
processor power for some reason so I stopped the service. Problem was
gone ;)

Then I started experimenting with the Ardour2. There was some hickups to
get the jack starting. For some mystical reason the integrated sound
card of my motherboard was enabled. I remember that I had this kind of
issues with FC3 or 4 even if the card is completelly disabled in BIOS.
FC5 32bit version worked fine without any trouble.

When the Jack was up and running I played around with Ardour2. Ardour
0.99 projects could not open with Ardour2 that just crashed. So I tried
with new project. For some reason it was not able to record anything at
first. The signal showed up in the mixer when the track was armed but
nothing was actually recorded.

For some mystical reason the recording started to work after Ardour
restart so I was able to continue testing. After one audio track I set
the Jack sync on and started Hydrogen. After that started the flow of
xruns whenever I stopped the playback in Ardour2.

Problem is that the same thing happens with the Ardour 0.99 (+ it has
some UI problems. The markers bar above the tracks is shifted to the
right some bars)

I noticed that even the processor was completelly idling the load of the
system was between 1.2 - 1.6. I suspected the nvidia drivers (I use the
beta version from NVidias site) and I had copied the old FC5 xorg.conf
directly to the FC6 installation. So I configured the X again using
nvidia-xconfig. That solved the problem and the loads went down to 0.2
when idling (don't know exactly why).

After that I still have the xrun problem whenever Ardour/Ardour2
playback is stopped. The recording / pplaying back works perfectly but
as soon as I stop the transport the XRuns get the world. XRuns stop when
I exit the ardour.

The questions in breaf:
-----------------------
Is there a way to tell the Alsa that it should not know anything about
the integrated audio card and the only sound card in the system should
be the SB Audigy EX? (I have allready commented out the modules in the
modprobe.conf and unloaded the modules manually. For some reason the
modules are loaded always)

Could the XRun problem go away by fixing the above one?

Regarding the bristol Fernando mantioned in earlier messages I get a
flash of the UI and then the following:
initialising one arp2600
parent exiting
done create interface: 764100, 76c6f0
Client ID = 131
Queue ID = 1
Registering 0 1
Registered 131 0
opened GUI midi handle: 1, fd 46
Read Configuration: arp2600
return - no data in buffer
exit algo: 1, 7d6910, 0
removing one arp2600
/usr/share/bristol/bin/startBristol: line 302: 10990 Segmentation fault
$BRISTOL/bin/brighton $* -engine

My system is:
FC6 x86_64 with Planet CCRMA (kernel 2.6.20-0119.rt8.fc6.ccrmart)
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
AMD Athlon64 3000+
Memory: 1024MB
Sound Blaster Audigy EX
25Gb IDE boot disk
2xSATA150 120GB disk as a software RAID for projects

Best Regards:
  Aapo Romu