[PlanetCCRMA] Recording Application Preferences (pros and cons)

Bill Polhemus bill@polhemus.cc
Sun Mar 11 08:57:00 2007

As I've stated, I've been working so hard on the hardware aspects of my
studio including the non-computer stuff, that I'm only now getting to
where I want to start laying down some tracks.

The only Linux app I've used so far to record PCM is "Audacity." I've
actually been amazed at how fully-featured it is (in addition to having
a Windows version, which ain't bad for me since I'm still running
Windows XP on my HP laptop). Obviously, Audacity has its limitations,
but so far I haven't seemed to bump up against them.

I also have Rosegarden, which I'm tending to try next because the main
guy on the Rosegarden project actually actually published a manual, a
copy of which I purchased on Amazon.

Finally, of course, there's Ardour, which seems the more powerful of
these but also the more daunting.

Not sure if I've missed any. But what are the "pros and cons" involved
here? Which do you prefer, and why?