[PlanetCCRMA] Recording Application Preferences (pros and cons)

nicholas manojlovic nicholasmanojlovic@gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 17:19:02 2007

Bill Polhemus wrote:
> As I've stated, I've been working so hard on the hardware aspects of
> my studio including the non-computer stuff, that I'm only now getting
> to where I want to start laying down some tracks.
>
> The only Linux app I've used so far to record PCM is "Audacity." I've
> actually been amazed at how fully-featured it is (in addition to
> having a Windows version, which ain't bad for me since I'm still
> running Windows XP on my HP laptop). Obviously, Audacity has its
> limitations, but so far I haven't seemed to bump up against them.
>
> I also have Rosegarden, which I'm tending to try next because the main
> guy on the Rosegarden project actually actually published a manual, a
> copy of which I purchased on Amazon.
>
> Finally, of course, there's Ardour, which seems the more powerful of
> these but also the more daunting.
>
> Not sure if I've missed any. But what are the "pros and cons" involved
> here? Which do you prefer, and why?

I love Ardour, or at least the .99 series, which is surprisingly stable.
Whilst sometimes I wish it had tools that I've used in other
applications, generally when I use other applications I wish they had
Ardour's features.
I  also use Jamin, which is the most feature complete audio interface
for Linux, and Sweep for basic editing (which is sadly not jack aware).

Cons wise, I really don't get Rosegarden or Audacity. To me Audacity is
a toy.

Rosegarden.. I do use it for midi editing, but it is the most clunky
interface around. I remember using Cakewalk back in 1996 and it was a
better application. I think it could be made better if it standardised
some of its operations - I never seem to know which track I'm going to
record or how to record it without some trial and error.

2c,

niko