[PlanetCCRMA] some weirdnesses on fc6 with reent upgrades

M P Smoak smoak@mis.net
Tue Mar 13 15:29:00 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 03:36 pm, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 20:57 +0100, joakim@verona.se wrote:
> > I've been using ccrma on my i386 fc6 laptop for some time, and it
> > has worked mostly well.
> >
> > Recently, however, all sorts of weirdness has crept in, I think
> > only caused by yum upgrades.
> >
> > - qjackctl doesnt start. it just hangs before starting the gui.
> > strace indicates its hanging on reading something.
>
> It does not help to not know what it was trying to read :-)
>
> You could try resetting the stored defaults for qjackctl, you should
> find them in "~/.qt/qjackctlrc". Just erase the file (or move it to a
> different location) and it will be recreated next time you start
> qjackctl.
>
> > - Bristol just crashes(but I only recently installed it, so I dont
> >   know if it ever worked)
> >
> > - my wlan doesnt work anymore
>
> What kernel are you booting? (type "uname -r" in a terminal to find
> out). It could be that the standard Fedora kernel has extra drivers
> that cover your wireless card and they are not part of the rt kernel
> (which is based on the vanilla Linus kernel plus Ingo's patches).
>
> Try booting into the Fedora kernel and see if wireless starts working
> again.
>
> -- Fernando

Well, I think I just discovered that wireless will on Fedora kernel from
ccrma for fc5.  I just got it working a few days ago but not for the rt
kernel.

In light of this, of the audio/sound packages in Planet-ccrma, what does
and what doesn't work using the plain fc5 kernel;  what do you loose by
not running the rt kernel?

(I'm trying to setup 2 machines right now, one a thinkpad laptop.
Three very good experienced linux support guys have failed to get sound
working on the desktop machine; left with very bruised egos.  For the
thinkpad, I got Emperor Linux to install fc5; so far that is going well.
But I'm getting used to the feel of a laptop and setting up non audio
stuff using kde. )

I love linux and the ideas behind it, but installation and maintenance
is ...  well, not a pleasant passtime.  But, I hope, worth it.

Thanks for the guidance and resources,
Marv