[PlanetCCRMA] sound troubleshooting help needed

Tom Poe tompoe@fngi.net
Thu Mar 29 10:53:00 2007

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 11:48 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> FC5 with planetccrma kernel sound issues -> no sound
>>
>> Quite a while ago, I got some good tips on troubleshooting no sound
>> issue on FC4.  Fernando suggested bringing up a couple of cli terminal
>> thingys, and a couple of commands.  I was able to boot my machine, bring
>> up a terminal, and type commands to get it working.  I can't remember
>> the steps to take to determine where and what to troubleshoot, though.
>> I tried to walk my daughter through the point 'n click options on her
>> FC5 system, but that didn't work.  Any help appreciated.
>>

> Hmmm, let's see...
> First make sure alsa knows about your card:
>   cat /proc/asound/cards
>   cat /proc/asound/devices
> If that shows the expected results, then make sure you have the outputs
> unmmuted and the volume up, you could use "alsamixer" from the command
> line ("m" to mute/unmute, arrow keys to change control and volume).
>
> What is it you are using to test sound?
> What hardware is involved? (soundcard, specially).
>
> -- Fernando

Fernando:  Thanks for responding.  Heather's out for the day, but if I
recall, she is using Creative Labs emu10k sound card.  It worked well
for some time, after fiddling.  A few weeks ago, the power supply on her
PIII desktop (older Dell, I think) got into trouble, so computer was
opened and power supply changed.  When she got it home, plugged it in,
no sound.  She can scratch the speaker contact against the speaker plug
on the computer and gets good scratching sound out of the speaker.  On
FC5, there's a selection under preferences that we checked to see if
sound was enabled, then checked the speaker icon in the upper right-hand
corner that brings up the volume control, and made sure PCM slot was
enabled, but no sound.  The last was to use the sound config selection
under the administration menu.  It found the sound card, but no sound
when the play sound button was hit.  Does the command, aplay
some.file.wav , send some.file.wav directly to sound card -> speaker?
If so, is there somewhere I can look to see if the file hits the sound
card, and then hits the speaker?  I apologize for not grasping
fundamentals of how computers work.  I love the automagical stuff they
do.  :)
Tom