[PlanetCCRMA] sound troubleshooting help needed

Thu Mar 29 10:15:01 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 11:48 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> FC5 with planetccrma kernel sound issues -> no sound
>
> Quite a while ago, I got some good tips on troubleshooting no sound
> issue on FC4.  Fernando suggested bringing up a couple of cli terminal
> thingys, and a couple of commands.  I was able to boot my machine, bring
> up a terminal, and type commands to get it working.  I can't remember
> the steps to take to determine where and what to troubleshoot, though.
> I tried to walk my daughter through the point 'n click options on her
> FC5 system, but that didn't work.  Any help appreciated.

Hmmm, let's see...
First make sure alsa knows about your card:
  cat /proc/asound/cards
  cat /proc/asound/devices
If that shows the expected results, then make sure you have the outputs
unmmuted and the volume up, you could use "alsamixer" from the command
line ("m" to mute/unmute, arrow keys to change control and volume).

What is it you are using to test sound?
What hardware is involved? (soundcard, specially).

-- Fernando