[PlanetCCRMA] FC5 sound trouble

Tom Poe tompoe@fngi.net
Sat Mar 31 10:47:02 2007

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Saturday 31 March 2007 02:51, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> aplay xyz.wav
>> Playing raw data 'xyz.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>>
>> results:  /proc/asound/devices
>> 0: [ 0]   : control
>>  1:        : sequencer
>>  4: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
>>  6: [ 0- 2]: hardware dependent
>>  8: [ 0- 0]: raw midi
>>  9: [ 0- 1]: raw midi
>> 10: [ 0- 2]: raw midi
>> 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
>> 18: [ 0- 2]: digital audio playback
>> 19: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
>> 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
>> 25: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
>> 26: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
>> 33:        : timer
>>
>> results: /proc/asound/cards
>> 0 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SBLive! Value [CT4670]
>>                      SBLive! Value [CT4670] (rev.4, serial:0x201102) at
>> 0x10a0, irq 11
>>
>> alsamixer checked, everything up, but still no sound.  Any suggestions?
>> Tom
>>

> Hi Tom. Are you sure you've checked all the muted buttons on Alsamixer? I've
> got an Audigy2 soundblaster, and on FC5 the card set itself up with no
> problems. The sliders I need up for sounds are "Master", "PCM", "Front", and
> "Audigy C" (for cd playback). Also, I'm in Debian at the moment, but I think
> on FC5, "Master" has a mute button, also "PCM", and further on to the right
> with the right arrow you come to a mute button with no slider, named "Audigy
> A". Use the "M" key to toggle their state. Unmuted they should show up as two
> circles on a green background.
>
> Nigel.

Nigel:  Yeah.  Everything's unmuted.  I've got an email out to Heather
to try the aplay command:
aplay -v xyz.wav
Hopefully, this will confirm it's hitting the sound card.  Will post
results when she responds.

She had power supply go out, and when she got the computer back (friend
replaced it), sound was not working any more.  She checked to make sure
physical connections set, and it looked like everything was as it should
be.  She gets scratchy noise through speakers, when she rubs the contact
where the speaker plugs in, but no sound.  I'm just not sure how to
trace what's happening, to see where it all gets gummed up.  My sound is
working (same or similar FC5 installation), even though I have this in
my /etc/modprobe.conf:
alias eth0 3c59x
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };  \
 /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

Thanks, Tom