[PlanetCCRMA] no supported simd instruction sets

jonathan segel jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com
Tue May 1 16:33:05 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 17:47 -0700, Jonathan Segel wrote:

>>> Could you copy the output of "jackd -d alsa -d hw" into an email?
>>> (and
>>> "rpm -q -i jack-audio-connection-kit"?) This is probably related to
>>> another bug/feature someone else found when trying to use a Duron
>>> processor. When there's no SIMD instructions it should just use the
>>> normal copy/add functions.
>>
>> hmm. it isn't finding hardware now, only the modem is listed in the
>> qjackctl  hardware availability...
>
> Yes, there's something else wrong in your setup. I exhumed a very old
> machine from our hardware graveyard (PIII based) and went through the
> "install fc6 and jack" there. It is apparently working fine.
>
> The "No supported SIMD instruction sets detected" is normal, it means
> the CPU does not have sse2, 3dnow, etc and jack cannot use the vector
> based assembler speedup routines for copying or adding buffers
> together.
> But it does work normally after that, at least in my machine.
>
> -- Fernando

i see. doing a little research i discovered sort of the same things,
reading about people doing video stuff with pIII machines.
well, what's weird is that supercollider is saying the same thing
when i try to boot a server, it shows up for a second in qjackctl
then dies.
if i boot in a regular non-rt non-planet kernel, my regular hardware
shows up at least, the intel 810 set. same problem with SC though.

anyway. is there a relatively easy way (command wise) to reinstall
the entire fc6 and keep my home directory? or reinstall the entire
thing and not keep /home and then just copy what i need from
elsewhere...?
or wait to do that with fc7...?
or get a new machine one of these days?

         Jonathan Segel  --  4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
                 MAGNETIC -- http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com