[PlanetCCRMA] no supported simd instruction sets

Tue May 1 15:56:01 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 17:47 -0700, Jonathan Segel wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2007, at 4:54 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 16:42 -0700, jonathan wrote:
> >> i was having  a problem with freqtweak, but now i'm realizing that
> >> the
> >> problem is much bigger.
> >> this is in fc6, on a pentium III sharp laptop, i've been bouncing
> >> installs back and forth between the two large drive partitions,
> >> presently one is fc6 and one is fc5.
> >> fc5 is fine.
> >> booting jack in fc6, i get the "No supported SIMD instruction sets
> >> detected" in the message box of qjackctl.
> >
> > Could you copy the output of "jackd -d alsa -d hw" into an email? (and
> > "rpm -q -i jack-audio-connection-kit"?) This is probably related to
> > another bug/feature someone else found when trying to use a Duron
> > processor. When there's no SIMD instructions it should just use the
> > normal copy/add functions.
>
> hmm. it isn't finding hardware now, only the modem is listed in the
> qjackctl  hardware availability...

Yes, there's something else wrong in your setup. I exhumed a very old
machine from our hardware graveyard (PIII based) and went through the
"install fc6 and jack" there. It is apparently working fine.

The "No supported SIMD instruction sets detected" is normal, it means
the CPU does not have sse2, 3dnow, etc and jack cannot use the vector
based assembler speedup routines for copying or adding buffers together.
But it does work normally after that, at least in my machine.

-- Fernando