[PlanetCCRMA] fc7 (KDE) using wrong card

pyrael admin.covenantofblood@gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 09:58:38 2007

I have two sound cards on my computer, and have edited /etc/modprobe.conf so
that the *should* operate correctly.

/etc/modprobe.conf:
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-emu10k1 index=1

Sound Cards:
Soundblaster PCI512
Intel ICH6 AC97 Onboard

What is happening is that, even after a full reboot, KDE insists on using
the Soundblaster for everything.

I have my soundblaster for MIDI only. I don't care for the sound quality of
it's audio so I want to use the MIDI of it, and the audio of the ICH6 (which
sounds much nicer).
When I was using Cakewalk under windows, I had a patch cable conected from
the line out of the SB to the line in of the ICH6. This made it so I could
record the MIDI played back (without getting the 512's audio in the way)
also caused less "dropouts to happen.
Basically, I want to do the same with linux. I have used CCRMA before
(FC4/5/6) and "gave up" on the dual soundcard setup. I was told that
multiple card support had improved so i am trying again.

Any suggestions/assistance appreciated

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

I just looked at /proc/asound/ and found that the symlinks for ICH6 and Live
are swapped. Could this cause the problem?

Heres the ls -l of the directory: (edited out the non essential lines)

dr-xr-xr-x 9 root root 0 2007-09-14 11:19 card0
dr-xr-xr-x 9 root root 0 2007-09-14 11:19 card1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2007-09-14 11:19 ICH6 -> card1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2007-09-14 11:19 Live -> card0