[PlanetCCRMA] fc7 (KDE) using wrong card

Fri Sep 14 10:15:04 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 08:24 -0700, pyrael wrote:
> I have two sound cards on my computer, and have edited /etc/modprobe.conf so
> that the *should* operate correctly.
>
> /etc/modprobe.conf:
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-intel8x0 index=0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1
> options snd-card-1 index=1
> options snd-emu10k1 index=1

This looks fine. Did you do a "/sbin/depmod -a" after changing the file?

> Sound Cards:
> Soundblaster PCI512
> Intel ICH6 AC97 Onboard
>
> What is happening is that, even after a full reboot, KDE insists on using
> the Soundblaster for everything.
>
> I have my soundblaster for MIDI only. I don't care for the sound quality of
> it's audio so I want to use the MIDI of it, and the audio of the ICH6 (which
> sounds much nicer).
> When I was using Cakewalk under windows, I had a patch cable conected from
> the line out of the SB to the line in of the ICH6. This made it so I could
> record the MIDI played back (without getting the 512's audio in the way)
> also caused less "dropouts to happen.
> Basically, I want to do the same with linux. I have used CCRMA before
> (FC4/5/6) and "gave up" on the dual soundcard setup. I was told that
> multiple card support had improved so i am trying again.
>
> Any suggestions/assistance appreciated

Is this on fc7? There is a system configuration program that will let
you define the order of the cards. I don't know how you would access if
from KDE (I use Gnome). Did you try it?

-- Fernando