[PlanetCCRMA] Problem with jack

Len lenb_99 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 09:53:06 PDT 2008

David Nielson wrote:

>> I'll try and get some more output from dmesg, /proc/asound/, etc that might be of more assistance, but I wondered if anyone had seen the "RT" indicator light going on and off like this in qjackctl?
>>
>Yes, Len, I see that in the current and recent versions. (I think it's
supposed to look like a flashing "ON AIR" indicator.) IMO, the more
recent qjackctl program is much more annoying to use, as the RT
indicator flashes rather than staying solid, and you can no longer close
qjackctl while leaving the jack server running. But I haven't got around
to commenting about it.

>I hope you find the source of your disconnection problem though! I'm
using an RME HDSP 9652, and it's flawless. With F8 and the latest
packages, I get no dropouts even at the lowest latency settings.

>Thanks,
>David
ar YAHOO = {'Shortcuts' : {}};
YAHOO.Shortcuts.hasSensitiveText = true;
YAHOO.Shortcuts.sensitivityType = ["adult"];
YAHOO.Shortcuts.doUlt = false;
YAHOO.Shortcuts.location = "us";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_id = 0;
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_type = "";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_title = "Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Problem with jack";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_publish_date = "";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_author = "nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_url = "";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_tags = "";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSet = {
"lw_1207240746_0": {
"text": "Intel",
"extended": 0,
"startchar": 394,
"endchar": 398,
"start": 394,
"end": 398,
"extendedFrom": "",
"predictedCategory": "ORGANIZATION",
"predictionProbability": "0.630015",
"weight": 0.35,
"type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/organization/company/company_name"],
"category": ["ORGANIZATION"],
"context": "up in modules.conf as sound-card-0 (I disabled the onboard HDA Intel  \x3e sound chip in the BIOS).  I then installed the planet",
"metaData": {
"canonicalName": "Intel Corp.",
"exchange": "NMS",
"symbol": "INTC"
}
 },
"lw_1207240746_1": {
"text": "2.6.24",
"extended": 0,
"startchar": 502,
"endchar": 507,
"start": 502,
"end": 507,
"extendedFrom": "",
"predictedCategory": "",
"predictionProbability": "0",
"weight": 1,
"type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/date_only"],
"category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
"context": "in the BIOS).  I then installed the planet ccrma kernel  \x3e (kernel-rt-2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8.ccrma.i686) and my favorite sound applications.  Does all this happen in",
"metaData": {
"isoEndDate": "",
"isoStartDate": "20240206T100000",
"past": "false",
"recurring": "false"
}
 },
"lw_1207240746_2": {
"text": "PlanetCCRMA at ccrma.stanford.edu",
"extended": 0,
"startchar": 2703,
"endchar": 2732,
"start": 2703,
"end": 2732,
"extendedFrom": "",
"predictedCategory": "",
"predictionProbability": "0",
"weight": 1,
"type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/hyperlink/mailto"],
"category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
"context": "on and off like this in qjackctl?   _______________________________________________ PlanetCCRMA mailing list PlanetCCRMA at ccrma.stanford.edu http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/planetccrma",
"metaData": {
"linkHref": "mailto:PlanetCCRMA at ccrma.stanford.edu",
"linkProtocol": "mailto",
"linkYmailto": "mailto:PlanetCCRMA at ccrma.stanford.edu"
}
 },
"lw_1207240746_3": {
"text": "http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/planetccrma",
"extended": 0,
"startchar": 2826,
"endchar": 2884,
"start": 2826,
"end": 2884,
"extendedFrom": "",
"predictedCategory": "",
"predictionProbability": "0",
"weight": 1,
"type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/hyperlink/http"],
"category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
"context": "and off like this in qjackctl?   _______________________________________________ PlanetCCRMA mailing list PlanetCCRMA at ccrma.stanford.edu http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/planetccrma",
"metaData": {
"linkHref": "http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/planetccrma",
"linkProtocol": "http",
"linkTarget": "_blank"
}
 }
};

Ferrnando wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently did a fresh install of Fedora 8 from a Unity Project re-spin.
>> It's installed on an AMD Athlon X2 with 2GB RAM, but I installed the
>> 32-bit (i386) OS.  I'm using an Echo Layla24 PCI card, which I have set
>> up in modules.conf as sound-card-0 (I disabled the onboard HDA Intel
>> sound chip in the BIOS).   I then installed the planet ccrma kernel
>> (kernel-rt-2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8.ccrma.i686) and my favorite sound applications.

>Does all this happen in the standard Fedora kernel?

>> In jack (Qjackctl), I have it set to use RT, 128 frames/period, 48000
>> sample rate, 2 periods/buffer, 8 input/8 output channels, etc.  I started
>> up echomixer (to control hardware levels on Layla 24), qjackctl, and
>> zynaddsubfx to try out a little midi and audio using an external keyboard
>> controller connected to Layla's MIDI IN port.
>>
>> When jack starts, the message window says "Enhanced 3DNow! detected" and
>> "Using SSE2", but the status window (main qjackctl panel) has the "RT"
>> indicator light alternately flashing on, then off, then on, then off, ...
>> I don't remember seeing this behavior before.  Then after some time, jack
>> just shuts down.

>Sounds like missing interrupts or something like that. Does it happen
with all programs? Always?

>> At one point, while playing a synth patch from zynaddsubfx
>> and multiple keys/fast passage, it just locked up with a very annoying
>> constant tone (incoming! take cover!).
>>
>> Just for reference, I tried installing Fedora 7 (stock as well as ccrma-rt)
>> on this hardware setup and had so many problems I decided to give F8 a try.
>> In F7, eth0 would mysteriously go down (IRQ released), the soundcard and
>> alsa would randomly disconnect (IRQ again?), etc.

>It sort of sounds like the kernel is having problems with your
hardware...

>Sorry to not have any more ideas. [I may not be so responsive to emails
in the near future, I going on a trip in a couple of hours...]

>-- Fernando

>> I'll try and get some more output from dmesg, /proc/asound/, etc that
>> might be of more assistance, but I wondered if anyone had seen the "RT"
>> indicator light going on and off like this in qjackctl?

It's going to take some more testing to be able to say whether it happens always and with all programs.  I haven't spent much time testing jack with the stock kernel since I wouldn't be able to run it with the 'RT' option, would I?

If it is a problem with interrupts/IRQs, is there a way to assign IRQs to PCI slots or devices manually?  I used to be able to do that in the BIOS, but I assume Fedora takes over and manages resources automagically?  So much has changed ...

It's kind of ironic that my old PIII 800MHz (Coppermine) with half a gig of RAM was running Fedora 5 flawlessly (well, almost) for so long (making lots of music), and it wasn't until I upgraded to an Athlon 64 with 2GB RAM that I started having these problems.  Guess I should have selected hardware more carefully.  Maybe I just picked up the wrong motherboard or something.  Pretty much dead in the water.  Sigh.

Maybe once I work out the kinks all will be well.  Thanks for the help.

Len