[PlanetCCRMA] F8 on iMac won't boot

Michael Gurevich gurevich at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Apr 7 06:38:17 PDT 2008

Hi,

I just installed F8 on a brand new iMac, following the outline on the
CCRMA wiki (http://cm-wiki.stanford.edu/wiki/MacTel_PlanetCCRMA) using
rEFit.

Everything went very smoothly until I installed PlanetCCRMA and tried to
boot the RT kernel (2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8.ccrmart). I can't offer much
detail about what's going on other that it doesn't even seem to begin to
boot. After selecting Linux from the rEFit boot menu, it gets as far as

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
i8042.c: No Controller found

and then nothing. I let it sit there for about 10 minutes just to be
sure. I have to hard reset after that, and I can't see anything recorded
anywhere in /var/log. The stock F8 kernel boots just fine, although I
haven't got audio working.

any insights?

thanks,
Michael.