[PlanetCCRMA] high cpu usage, irq problem?

Martin Alacam belgeler at seznam.cz
Tue Apr 15 13:08:58 PDT 2008

Hello,
Thanks to your answers everything works now on my thinkpad r40 with the
firewire sound card edirol FA-66. Only problem is jackd and all other apps
use really a lot of cpu, for example: jackd,and a pd patch use up to 80%,
jackd alone uses 30%, and that in idle state. Also I hear an interrupted high
frequency when I start jackd, which is not the case on my main pc. I suspect
the problem is here :

cat /proc/interrupts | grep 1394
3:    5    XT-PIC-XT  uhci_hcd:usb2, ohci1394, radeon at pci:0000:01:00.0

Firewire is on the same irq channel like the graphic card and usb. I searched
the web, and found some contradictory statements about this, I don't really
understand whether I can fix the problem by modifing /etc/sysconfig/rtirq and
giving ohci1394 a higher priority, or this laptop is just hopeless for making
music. I tried changing the settings in BIOS, but the computer refused to
boot.
Some more info on the computer (lspci) is on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/m370a9169

Thanks in advance for any answers,
Best regards
Martin