[PlanetCCRMA] iMac Audio issues (was F8 on iMac won't boot)

Michael Gurevich gurevich at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Apr 17 03:32:39 PDT 2008

Thanks for the pointers. I think I've solved it by trial and error.

Tried adding
options snd-hda-intel model=imac-intel-20
to /etc/modprobe.conf, and that didn't work. On closer inspection,
imac-intel-20 is listed under STAC9220/9221 hardware, and
/proc/asound/card0/codec\#0 shows ALC885. (I know this info is available
somewhere else too, but I always forget where).

Even though I have a 20-inch iMac, I tried
options snd-hda-intel model=imac24
which is listed under ALC882/885 in ALSA-Configuration.txt. That gave me
sound from the built-in speakers, but not from the headphones, and only
1 volume control in alsamixer.

Finally,
options snd-hda-intel model=mbp3
seems to work (uhhh... naturally). It automatically switches from
built-in speakers to headphones when I plug into the jack and gives me
separate volume controls in alsamixer.

Yay. Now that I have sound, I can get back to coding :-(