[PlanetCCRMA] kernel-rt 2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8 hangs the system with nvidia driver

Dalibor Chrudina dalibor.chrudina at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 03:27:22 PDT 2008

Hi,

my Fedora 8 installation, hangs totally upon the X session start, when
booted with kernel-rt 2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8 with nvidia driver. Latest kernel
from Fedora (2.6.24.4.) works smoothly on the contrary.

I have tried both nvidia package installer or recompiled livna rpms, but
both have the same effect. For testing purpose I boot with default runlevel
3. After the installation of the nvidia module, which ends successfully, I
issue the command init 5, and the system hangs forever with black screen. I
is completely frozen, I even can not establish the ssh session from another
machine on the network. Xorg.0.log reveals no hint, it just stops short at
the beginning of the session without any visible error message.

If I remove the nvidia module and start with nv driver, it works but I am
without GL, which is rather unpleasant.

System: 32bit
Kernel used: 2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8.ccrmart
NVIDIA package: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12.pkg1.run

Can you give me a hint, what can be wrong?

Dalibor