[PlanetCCRMA] [PlanetCCRMANews] the Planet lands on Fedora 10

don.estabrook at gmail.com don.estabrook at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 20:30:53 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 14:14 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 14:41 -0700, David Nielson wrote:
>> I think it's time to get Linus' attention. The hard hang bug is a kernel
>> regression. MIDI not working with ALSA is a kernel regression. Linus has
>> said many times that a regression is a thousand times worse than any
>> other bug, so if kernel devs aren't paying attention, I say it's time to
>> do an end-run around them and go to a higher authority.
>
>Well, that would be the right approach if the rt patch were to be part
>of the standard kernel tree. Regretfully it is not, so I doubt it would
>have much effect.

Sorry if this is a stupid question (I have to confess I haven't done any
recent reading on the topic), but do you know why the RT changes are not
included in the standard kernel these days?  I can understand why it
wasn't included in the early days of the patches, and why at least some
of the features should be made run-time options rather than enabled by
default, but it seems a bit surprising that the kernel maintainers
wouldn't be interested in picking up such valuable functionality, for
more than just audio purposes...  I was also thinking it might make your
life a little easier as well. ;)

- Don