[PlanetCCRMA] [PlanetCCRMANews] the Planet lands on Fedora 10

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 18:22:21 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:14 PM, David Ford <dford at ansur.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> So recording a track with jack/Ardour, playing it back while recording
> another track, and so on, then mixing it down to stereo, doesn't really
> need very low latency?
> I have to admit that I just thought to record music you must have the
> lowest latency possible.
> What sort of thing do I need to be doing to make full use of the low
> latency? (i.e. what is software monitoring exactly?)
> Sorry if these are dumb questions!
> And if I'm doing dumb questions: Why does Ardour engine always start in
> 48K sample rate even when I've set jack and everything I can find to
> 44K1? (Burning a CD and forgetting to convert 48 to 44.1 is my most
> common pastime!)
> Thanks for any pointers.
> David

Unless I've gone nuts (happens quite frequently, actually), ardour
knows the jack buffer size and compensates for the latency of your
recordings.  So yes, crank up the buffer size.

The only time this is bad is if you want to hear the affect of the
plugins on a track in real-time, as that track is being recorded.  But
don't do that; it's silly.  Apparently some singers like to hear
reverb on their own voice.  In that case, split the input signal and
apply outboard affects to one and monitor that.  The other case is if
you're playing softsynths (not currently possible in ardour anyway),
or if you're using the computer as a live effects unit.

Not sure about 44.1/48k issue.

Hope this helps and I haven't said anything misleading or incorrect.
I haven't really used ardour in a couple of years.