[PlanetCCRMA] fc8 install

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Mar 25 08:18:01 2008

I decided to jump ahead and install fc8 on my old thinkpad.
While it is mostly working, I did encounter a few problems (and learned a
few things along the way)
1) there are some missing dependencies with pd-extended. I could solve
some (quicktime, mpeg libraries) by adding livna repo but there is still a
problem with pd-list-abs.

2) I can get clm working in a terminal but slime requires file timer which
it can't find when I start xemacs (using an old init.el file)

3) I was finally(!) able to get sndlib to play 4 channels out of my maudio
quattro by recognizing the virtual devices defined in .asoundrc, but no
such luck with jack. I tried starting jack with many different options and
it invariably gives up and quits. The other thing I noticed was that when
I do get jack running with alsa drivers (it can do stereo, sort of, with
some xrun errors) I need to reduce the amplitude to 1% for it not to
overload (e.g. using snd, amplitude control slider almost all the way
down).
The interesting thing was that using oss layer I can get jack to run (but
no 4-channels) and pd also sounds fine (again only stereo).

If you found solutions to any of the these - xemacs, slime, or the right
incantation for jackd - please let me know
thanks
Oded