[PlanetCCRMA] fc8 install

Tue Mar 25 12:30:02 2008

--=-Hr5ldjYtGl3fSkmfAUj3

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 08:17 -0700, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> I decided to jump ahead and install fc8 on my old thinkpad.
> While it is mostly working, I did encounter a few problems (and learned a
> few things along the way)
> 1) there are some missing dependencies with pd-extended. I could solve
> some (quicktime, mpeg libraries) by adding livna repo but there is still a
> problem with pd-list-abs.
>
> 2) I can get clm working in a terminal but slime requires file timer which
> it can't find when I start xemacs (using an old init.el file)

I just tested using the file at the end of this email without problems.
Hmmm, I don't use init.el AFAIK.

> 3) I was finally(!) able to get sndlib to play 4 channels out of my maudio
> quattro by recognizing the virtual devices defined in .asoundrc, but no
> such luck with jack. I tried starting jack with many different options and
> it invariably gives up and quits. The other thing I noticed was that when
> I do get jack running with alsa drivers (it can do stereo, sort of, with
> some xrun errors) I need to reduce the amplitude to 1% for it not to
> overload (e.g. using snd, amplitude control slider almost all the way
> down).
> The interesting thing was that using oss layer I can get jack to run (but
> no 4-channels) and pd also sounds fine (again only stereo).
>
> If you found solutions to any of the these - xemacs, slime, or the right
> incantation for jackd - please let me know

What options are you using for jack and the usb interface? At least the
number of periods has to be 3 (or more). Sampling rate = 48000 has more
chance of working than 44100. What error messages you get?

-- Fernando

--=-Hr5ldjYtGl3fSkmfAUj3

;; .emacs

;;; uncomment this line to disable loading of "default.el" at startup
;; (setq inhibit-default-init t)

;; enable visual feedback on selections
;(setq transient-mark-mode t)

;; default to better frame titles
(setq frame-title-format
      (concat  "%b - emacs@" (system-name)))

;; default to unified diffs
(setq diff-switches "-u")

;; supercollider
(require 'sclang)

;; always end a file with a newline
;(setq require-final-newline 'query)

;;; uncomment for CJK utf-8 support for non-Asian users
;; (require 'un-define)
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(show-paren-mode t)
 '(transient-mark-mode t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

;; slime
(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/cm-sbcl")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/slime")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

--=-Hr5ldjYtGl3fSkmfAUj3--