[PlanetCCRMA] fc8 install

Wed Mar 26 12:11:09 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 09:02 -0700, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> thanks.
> 1) Jack - I was able to get jack to start with 4 out channels. But it's
> not stable - for some reason if I open a big pd patch (that opens and
> plays fine with pd -oss) pd and qjackctl crash, and with some other of my
> patches the system just grinds to a halt (I just waited 45 minutes, while
> the machine kept churning the HD untill I gave up and rebooted). Either my
> 5 year old machine doesn't have enought memory, or else there are some
> major bugs in jack (or pd's communication with jack?). But these seem to
> be beyond nando's control.

Probably not enough memory. Try to run jack without memory locking (it
is an option in qjackctl's setup dialog box). I think there might also
be problems if you run lisp as just playing will try to lock all of it
into memory and it is huge...

> 2) emacs - slime cm/clm working. I couldn't figure out how to get syntax
> highlighting though. I do have an old file (Rick's) that contains cm/clm
> keywords and I'm trying to load that but it doesn't seem to work.

What I usually do is to check those from the pull down menus (I think it
is in the second or third from the left), and then save the preferences.
The proper things get added to .emacs...

-- Fernando