[PlanetCCRMA] CM vs Grace

Jeff Sandys sandysj at juno.com
Thu Sep 25 17:17:11 PDT 2008

What is the difference between CM as installed from:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/8/i386/repoview/cm.html
and Grace from this link?
http://camil.music.uiuc.edu/Software/grace/

I am trying to follow along with Rick Taube's Algorithmic Design of Music
class:
http://camil.music.uiuc.edu/Classes/404A1/
and his Notes from the Meta level book.

I couldn't build Grace (source from the site above) on my Fedora 8/CCRMA
laptop and neither of the Linux binarys (built for Ubuntu) would work.  (It
would really be cool if someone could put a Grace package in CCRMA)

Common Music (from the repoview above) is installed and seems to work OK,
will this be adequate?

The differences I perceive is that SAL is not available so I will have to
convert all the SAL code to Scheme or Lisp.
When I run CM it starts with SBCL instead of Guile, but it acts like Scheme,
is this by design?
Are all the functions used in the Meta level book and the class notes
available in CCRMA CM environment? (especially the csound, midi and spawn
functions that are beyond my coding capabilities)
Should I be using CM and Scheme or CLM and Lisp?  (I'm a little more fluent
in Lisp but the Meta level book appears to be Scheme).
What is the graphic part of Guile, does it use GL for graphics like fluxus?
http://www.pawfal.org/fluxus/
(I like fluxus, a scheme environment, but it seems designed to turn sounds
into graphics and I'm more interested in turning graphic expressions into
music)

Thanks for any advice.
-- Jeff Sandys