[PlanetCCRMA] kernel-rt(PAE) questions

Sat Dec 5 10:58:04 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 17:50 -0800, Stephen Stubbs wrote:
> Does using the PAE kernel version on a 1GB memory machine cause a
> noticeable decrease in peformance?

I don't think so, the normal kernel is now PAE by defaul (Fedora's move)
because there is no significant impact. I imagine nothing that you would
be able to notice while scrolling through a web page.

> In particular, when scrolling down through a webpage that has a lot of
> banners and such with Firefox, I notice a lag that is getting to be
> painful.

It would seem to me that would point more towards rendering in your
graphics card (which might be affected by the kernel drivers for it, of
course). What do you have? Which driver?

-- Fernando