[PlanetCCRMA] setting local network

Mon Dec 7 10:06:43 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 06:04 -0800, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> dear all,
>
> I am trying to get data over a network - from Max/MSP (computer 1) to Pd
> (my planetccrma machine) both connected through a hub over ethernet.
> With some googling we were able to get to the point where we can ping each
> other (It involved changing ifcfg file to get a static ip).

That should not be necessary as long as you know which dynamic ip
address you are getting (/sbin/ifconfig from a terminal should tell you
that) - of course the ip address might change which could be a problem.

> But still Pd
> didn't receive the udp messages. Embarrisingly it was very easy to achieve
> by switching to windows.

(because it is more insecure by design, being more secure is nothing to
be embarrased about :-)

> Any advice would be welcome.

You probably need to open the ports you are trying to use in the
firewall. Going to the System/Administration/Firewall menu entry would
be a good start.