[PlanetCCRMA] Questions that might be able to be added to the FAQs

Mon Dec 14 12:04:48 PST 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 15:27 -0500, William M. Quarles wrote:
> Hi Fernando (and fellow list subsribers),
>
> I have some questions that might belong in the FAQs. I'd also like to
> know the answers to these.
>
> 1. At what point do you start building packages new Fedora releases?

Well, as soon as I can :-) Usually I don't start trying to build package
before the release but rather immediately after. How long it takes
depends (at least historically) on how different is the build
environment and how difficult it is to make packages build - big changes
in gcc have made it complicated in the past, fc12 was not so bad.

> 2. How can I contribute to Planet CCRMA (besides branching the software
> to cover other architectures/distributions)?

If you have specific patches that address problems you could send them
to me. What other architectures would you be interested in using?
Distributions?

A very good way to contribute if you are into building packages would be
to become a Fedora packager and try to move packages from Planet CCRMA
to Fedora. There are many that could be moved, the more that are in
Fedora proper the better...

> 3. How can I build a custom kernel from the Planet CCRMA kernel-rt SRPM?
> (I've tried using the instructions from the Fedora Project Wiki on
> Fedora 10 and I don't think that they quite translate over to the Planet
> kernel-rt SRPMs. Not only that, I have doubts that they still are valid
> for the actual Fedora kernel SRPMs for Fedora 11 and above, because they
> don't seem to work without modifications to the spec file).

I think building from the srpm should be the same as for other Fedora
kernels. You do have to use the proper .src.rpm package - for example
older kernels will probably not build correctly for fc12. Which one are
you interested in rebuilding?