[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel-rt and akmods

Tue Jun 2 16:02:44 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 13:43 -0700, Tracey Hytry wrote:
> > And I hope the issues with akmod  and the dot 29 kernels
> > gets worked out before ccrma moves to F11.
>
> Well,  I've been playing with Fedora 11(early/buggy edition) and I get
> the same sort of errors when trying to build a 29-CCRMA-rt kmod there.
> The main error looks very close to the one on F9.  I had hoped that
> the problems would go away while using the newest 2.6.29.4 headers,
> but alas, same frustrations.

Do you have some more detailed error messages? Akmod must be writing a
log somewhere when it tries to build the kernel modules, maybe a clue is
waiting there to be found...

> FYI,  Fedora 11 looks pretty good so far using the i386(i585) version.
> There are a few bugs and I don't know if they fixed the "sda6"
> problem, as I found an easy way to work around it on the machine.  I
> haven't tried a good audio test yet, but a lot of Fedora's audio stuff
> is there and installs ok.  F11 also seems to run fine with the
> newest(2.6.29.4-1.rt16.1.fc10.ccrma.x86_64.rt) kernel with the stock
> 2D nv and nouvea video drivers.

Good to know that at least the kernel boots and runs. The rt16 kernel
does not include the latest patches from Fedora for video cards so I'm a
bit surprised it runs at all (those patches don't patch cleanly so I
omit them instead of trying to fix them, no time, no time, no time :-)

I have not looked at rebuilding apps on top of f11, a lot has
(thankfully!) moved to Fedora so there is hopefully less work to be done
this time around.

I've been running rt16 on fc10 and so far no lockouts like before. Of
course that will happen tomorrow (in concert) just because I'm typing
this....