[PlanetCCRMA] fedora 11 support at the Planet...

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 14:24:55 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Just a heads up before the list is flooded with questions about when is
> Fedora 11 landing on the Planet :-)
>
> I'm working on it. It turns out that Fedora 11 changed some internal
> workings of rpm/yum which means my build system server no longer works
> (for building F11 packages). I've been working for a couple of days on
> it and just now there are glimmers of hope.
>
> A lot of Planet CCRMA packages have already migrated to Fedora so if you
> install plain F11 you may get what you need. But find out first :-) For
> example, you will not have an rt kernel or jackmp, etc, etc...
>
> Just do music and resist the urge to upgrade for now :-)
>
> -- Fernando

What is new with Fedora 11 on the Fedora side?

As Fernando said, many packages have migrated into Fedora. Let me make
a list of updates that were made (this might be incomplete):

Migrated packages:
----------------------------
clthreads:      POSIX threads C++ access library
dssi-vst:        VST plugins host
faust:            Compiled language for real-time audio signal processing
fluid-soundfont: default soundfont for F-11 now
jamin:           JACK Audio Mastering interface
jconv:            Jack Convolution Engine
lv2core:         Audio Plugin Standard
lv2dynparam: LV2 dynamic parameters extension
meterbridge:  Meter Bridge for JACK
muse:           Midi/Audio Music Sequencer
portmidi:       Real-time Midi I/O Library
slv2:             LV2 host library
swami:         MIDI instrument and soundfont editor,
zyn:             (migrated as lv2-zynadd-plugins) LV2 port of the
ZynAddSubFX engine

There are also some new packages:
aldrin:             Modular music sequencer/tracker
calf:                audio plugins in DSSI, LADSPA, LV2 formats
creox:             Real-time Sound Processor
frescobaldi:     Edit LilyPond sheet music with ease!
guitarix:          Mono amplifier to JACK (This one has a cool
MIDI2AUDIO feature)
jack_capture:  Record sound files with JACK
jack-keyboard: Virtual keyboard for JACK MIDI
minicomputer: Software Synthesizer
musescore:    (as mscore) Music Composition & Notation Software
nekobee-dssi: Acid sounds synthesizer
rumor:            Really Unintelligent Music transcriptOR (midi to notation)
xsynth-dssi:   Classic-analog style software synthesizer
zynjacku:       LV2 synths and plugins host

Note that some of these are still in the testing repo.

Moreover, there are updates to major packages, such as ardour,
hydrogen, muse, dssi...
I might have forgotten to announce but there are many new sound
plugins and synths now. Just do

yum search dssi ladspa lv2

We have many new java sound libraries (jjack, jmod, jorbis,
jVorbisEnc, RasmusDSP, toot2, tritonus,... ) and our very first java
multitrack sequncer "frinika" is on its way.

RPMFusion has some new packages too:
terminatorX: Realtime Audio Synthesizer
traverso:      Multitrack Audio Recording and Editing Suite

Enjoy!
Orcan