[PlanetCCRMA] ams (was: Re: kernel-rt not in bootmenu ?)

Sat Jun 13 14:07:43 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 15:29 +0200, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> I forgot to change the Subject line. Sorry.
>
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 03:23:14PM +0200, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to install ams on my new PlanetCCRMA/F11 system.
> > ams is a small but powerfull modular synth package, but when I try to
> > install it, it also wants to install lmms as a dependency. Why should
> > ams need lmms ? I don't need lmms.

Ah, this one is interesting :-)

The lmms package is providing (a "provide" is when an rpm tells the
system that it can provides for dependencies required by other packages)
a bunch of shared libraries. One of them is named "cmt.so". Now ams
requires a bunch of shared libraries for ladspa plugins because those
are needed for the examples and demos included in the package (and for
building interesting patches in ams). One of them is named, guess what?,
"cmt.so". So rpm finds the "cmt.so" provided by lmms first and does not
look further. We end up with ams without the ladspa-cmt-plugins plugin
collection and lmms loaded by default. Argh!

I don't know how to best solve this. I don't know why lmms is providing
cmt.so. I could require the plugins in ams by package name (ie:
Requires: ladspa-cmt-plugins instead of Requires: cmt.so) but that is
not the best practice as the package could potentially change. But for
now that would seem like the only solution...

Thanks for the report!
(in my very limited testing I did see that ladspa-cmt-plugins was
missing but did not notice lmms being pulled in...)