[PlanetCCRMA] I Am Told That rawmidi Ports Should Still Be Accessible By Other Apps Even When Jack Is Running

Sean Beeson seanbeeson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 19:29:21 PDT 2009

Hi List,

I have been hoping to use amidi to get data dumps from some external synths
I have using commands like amidi -p hw:3,0,2 -r KorgMS2000test1.syx, which
works fine as long as I am not running Jack. This first came up on
Rosegarden's user list while discussing RG's limited system exclusive
capabilies and some of it's devs chimmed in that Jack usually exclusively
takes over the audio ports only and not the rawmidi ports and that all of
them could use amidi while running Jack. Most of them were running some sort
of Debian Linux, I believe. If I try to access a rawmidi port with amidi,
Fedora 10 64-bit here, I get the following error:

ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:233:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC5D0
failed: Device or resource busy
cannot open port "hw:5,0,2": Device or resource busy

So, is there something different in the use of rawmidi ports with the
PlanetCCRMA repo/Fedora and if so, can I get around it somehow?

Since system exclusive has come up I am curious if anyone would know of
other programs that will write and save system exclusive data that uses Jack
instead of using a rawmidi port, also. I think the options are limited, no?

Thank you,

--Sean